Dartmouth men of all classes will find this building a small city in itself. Its bell-laden tower becomes a peak in the Connecticut Valley, visible for miles on all sides. Its enormous study, reference, and reading rooms are thoroughly cozy and comfortable, yet in no way is the zest diminished that came in older and rougher days when men lost themselves in the magic of books before open fireplaces or under the smoky light of candles or kerosene lamps. Inside this structure is preserved the original Dartmouth Library as it was in 1777, and in it are books that Wheelock collected as early as 1740, when these books were on the shelves of the Indian School at Lebanon Crank, Conn.
Mr. Thayer in his article on the Baker Library speaks of the decrease in the number of books after the University seized the library in 1817. The following verses were read by a Freshman (though not written by him) at a Delta Alpha initiation in Thornton Hall some 25 years ago. They may have been copied from some older Dartmouth publication. They are printed here merely to throw some light on the mystery of 1817. All the facts can not be vouched for but the bombardment of books is in the main correct.